|Chloe. Twenty. Involved in fandom. Writes. Creates. Bakes. Procrastinates.
Has tendecies towards biology, history, social studies, motherliness, graphic design and English pedanticism. Mostly harmless, unless given a hammer/knife/other weapon, then she only looks dangerous. Dislikes arguements, especially when they're
Wants to save the world from bad book covers, ugly advertising, poorly worded posters and corporate ignorance of fandom. Also wants to make sure that the vegans, gluten-free, dairy-free and egg-free of the world can have their cake and eat it too.
Believes the world – the entire universe – is beautiful and that is enough faith for her. Believes that everyone is a person first, not a label. Believes that love isn't limited by anything – gender, sex, numbers, age – and that it's not just about sex.
|sarah monette. diana wynne jones. catherine webb. melissa marr. terry pratchett. neil gaiman. jennifer rardin.
twilight series. doctrine of labyrinths series. fire and hemlock. howl's moving castle. good omens. coraline. tithe. ironside.
|bleach. xxxHOLiC. clover. legal drug. spice and wolf. zombie loan. tsubasa reservoir chronicle. ghost hunt. air gear. cardcaptor sakura. pokemon special. neil gaiman's sandman. owly.|
|doctor who. torchwood. sarah jane adventures. bones. mythbusters. antiques roadshow UK. time team.
the jacket. mirrormask. spirited away. princess mononoke. v for vendetta. inception.
|pokemon: main series. echo bazaar. pokemon: mystery dungeon|
|Please comment if you add me. Otherwise I get twitchy if you just stalk me.|
Firstly, thank you I suppose for taking your time to read this and get a better idea of who I am and what I enjoy. My tumblr is probably a better place for a more current snapshot of my fannish interests, however here and my AO3 are reasonably decent at outlining my general fannish proclivities. (Here is a little outdated however.)
Dig into my AO3 bookmarks or my tumblr fic rec tag if you really want to know what I like. (Or if you're procrastinating.)
- I will give most things a chance aside from: High School AUs, falling in love plots and plot that has porn or vice versa.
- I don't mind porn or explicit scenes, I just don't like an explicit scene in the middle of a more emotional/plotty fic to read like porn and I don't like my PWP to have too much plot or emotional context (beyond expressing consent of course) to bookend it. While I'm not comfortable listing all my kinks here, if you do feel compelled to write PWP for any of my fandoms, you can't go wrong with size kink or threesomes. Or turning the porn that was in a plot to fluffy coital/post-coital nonsense.
- I'm okay with slash, femmeslash, het, poly, everyone is single, whatever. I don't like pairing the spares however.
- Tropes are fun! Baby fic, pretend marrieds, someone is turned into a cat, fairytale mash up, all those things are enjoyable and great.
- Crossovers, fusions and AUs are things I find awesome. You can see a map of my crossover headcanons here.
- I'm not very fond of omegaverse unless it's are managed in a very particular way and address issues of consent clearly. I do not read D/s 'verses unless it's merged with omegaverse in a certain manner. Think more how wolves actually pair up (alpha/alpha, beta/beta, the alphas always get to pup but lower ranked pairs don't unless hunting is good), literal pecking orders in birds and how some species of fish change gender depending on the ratios of the shoal. I have a tag on my tumblr which contains some of my headcanon on the subject of an omega & Dom/sub 'verse. None of the following fandoms have strong Omegaverse, but I am very picky with what I read in this 'verse, so if you absolutely would love to write something A/B/O for one of them, please read a bit into what I prefer.
- Little science-y or historical diversions/details are interesting. If you've done research for a thing, I don't mind seeing some of the more technical details come through. I'm a little bit more wary about political viewpoints however.
Bulletproof likes include: AUs, fusions and crossovers! In depth looks at how those altered mechanics change things especially. Fluff! Platonic, familial or romantic, I don't care. Children! Whether it's babies or some accident concerning deaging; pre-canon, accidental adoption or they have kids at some point anyway, they're all cute. Female friendship! Women and girls talking to each other about books and politics or men and makeup, guarding each others asses or having a competitive rivalry. OT3s and/or polyamory! Sharing time nicely with their partners or just plain soppy love puddles. Magic! Discussion of, exploration of and academics of.
Dislikes: Dub/non-con, rape (past rape/dub-con experiences are okay if they're mentioned in passing, especially given some of the histories of characters in the fandoms I've requested, but dub/non-con situations in fic or past situations explored fully are no goes), BDSM, whump, death-fic, D/s-verse, in general anything with the express purpose of causing angst.
Below are the fandom specific wishlists/optional details are optional. These details and wishes are specifically if you don't have already have a bunny that you believe that I may enjoy or wish to write something special just for me. A lot of it is already copy and pasted from what I filled out in the AO3 form. I give options for both specified characters as well as more general prompts and wishes.
Some fandoms I am a bit more exuberantly enthusiastic about, but please don't let that deter you if you are more familiar with one of the other fandoms listed.
( Collapse )
( Collapse )
( Collapse )
( Collapse )
( Collapse )
Mostly because there’s a new modern storyline to parallel the historical one. And a random Hugh Jackman badly singing Mandarin. (I can get people not liking that. It was random and awkward.)
But platonic life partners? Lady composer? Maybe the fact that movies are ‘less intellectual’ and it was decided that viewers who didn’t read the book needed a modern parallel in order to empathise with the characters? (And there were people complaining it was too hard to distinguish the two time periods. Really?)
So I liked it. Though fair warning given for sad endings, people dying, historical sexism and domestic abuse, and those warnings should tell you it is not the happiest of movies.
( Collapse )
So, mostly I have nothing really to say. Except that I would love to see more of Natasha undercover and whether she did any other assessments for the Avengers initiative. And more of the day to day stuff that happened between Tony signing over CEO to Pepper and his birthday party. (Also the ~year between this and Avengers means that movie took place very close to his birthday, right? IM3 took place like six months after the Avengers.)
And I didn't know Laurence Fox was married to Billie Piper until I tried to look up videos of him speaking in Lewis and a great deal of his music and marriage to her popped up.
Anyway, spoilers underneath.
( Collapse )
( Collapse )
BTW, I figure that about 1/6th of the people in the cinema I was in stayed for the credits and that seemed to be equally spread between male and female.
I don't like it. I'm generally ambivalent towards MLP: FiM episodes though the cuteness usually does wonders for my mood, but this episode left me displeased.[Spoilers, of course]
1. The plot was rushed. given the restrictions of the season, I can give this a pass.
2. The name drop. I'm pretty sure it's written in the series contract to name drop the title at least once a season, so I can give this a pass as well.
3. I was constantly going "Just WALK AWAY Fluttershy" until she did and then it switched to "No, you are walking away for the wrong reasons" because everything about Discord and Fluttershy's interactions were kind of emotionally manipulative and ew. It was not a good moral - that emotionally manipulating a person, even for 'good' intentions, is an okay thing. Because Fluttershy seemed very aware why she was walking off.
Nope, I'd far rather Fluttershy walked away or, if the huge wink wink that Celestia gave the mane six was any indication, everypony killed Discord's vicious streak with kindness. Isn't Rarity the element of generosity? Pinkie Pie the element of Laughter? Twilight herself knows what it's like to gain friends where before she didn't have any.
Saying emotional manipulation is okay to a certain point is not cool. Not even considering second chances is uncool too.
Though friends not putting up with friends being dicks is an acceptable message. As is friends sticking around and trying to persuade someone to just leave an unhealthy relationship.
4. Discord was just kind of off. He's a self-titled Lord of Chaos, that doesn't just go away. You can't kill entropy. Okay, so he did say 'mostly' and I'll take that as a reason not to go chaotic evil. But he survived over a thousand years without friends, why should two days matter? Why is he then taken away from his only friend to serve Celestia? (His Heel Face Turn moment of realisation wa adorable hough.)
nbsp; i. As much as I dislike Discord/Celestia as a ship pre-canon, I could get behind a friendship forming after this episode. After all, Fluttershy isn't around and she's the only reason he's cooperating, why shouldn't Celestia worm her way into his affections? (For bonus ret-con, she could turn down any romantic affections after he's served his purpose and he can return to his antagonist role.)
nbsp; ii. I want to know why Equestria needs Discord's magic. There must be some serious trouble going on if Celestia has to turn to a chaotic-neutral/chaotic-evil antagonist to beef up Equestria's magical power. To use chaos magic at that.
5. That previous sub-point also means that I'm wondering if there isn't another reason why Celestia is leaving the Elements in Ponyville.
6. At least Fluttershy isn't a total doormat. I'll give her that.
And season finale speculation:
There's apparently been some confusion about what exactly the final will contain? What with the Hub branding 'Princess Coronation' on it and the synopsis reading something entirely different. People of course jumped to popular fan theory #1 in regards to the first part - Twilight's gonna become a princess. Which makes internal sense to me, seeing as she's Canterlot born, her brother was considered a worthy Captain of the Guard AND groom to Princess Cadance, which while her entrance exam to Celestia's school seems 'scholarship exam' still leads me to suspect she's actually pretty high class. Just incredibly geeky and doesn't care about that stuff.
However it's far too soon after the Crystal ponies storyline when it was hinted that Celestia and Luna have something big planned for her.
I don't get why people were so concerned with the high frame rate. Everything was amazingly smooth and, aside from a few moments where characters movements looked a little jerky and too-fast which I put down to encoding errors, everything was gorgeous and glorious. I'm not likely to go see it again in 2D and at the regular frame rate, but the difference in detail captured between the LotR trilogy and this first Hobbit movie is astounding. It's pretty much like you're in Bag End itself and I've been to the behind the scenes LotR exhibit and the level of detail is better than that even. Somehow.
Out of Bag End however, the HD just tends to make me think that I'm fairly sure the path where Bilbo catches up with the dwarves is a place I've actually walked along myself, the Shire river looked like any river/stream on any New Zealand farm and that, oh, they filmed that sequence up there in the North Island.
Unlike most people, especially Sherlock fans, I was actually somewhat concerned about Martin Freeman's casting as he just didn't fit into how Bilbo looks in my head. And he still doesn't, but within the first five minutes I could see why he was chosen outside of his talents at acting the woebegone 'normal' guy. Because there is a resemblance to Frodo in his Bilbo. (And a little to Merry and Pippin, whom Frodo and Bilbo are related to distantly if I remember correctly.) That and the delivery of that 'Home' quote, which everyone has seemingly gif-ed, while rather overly British was delivered beautifully.
The music was gorgeous as always and I am expecting an Oscar for sound design/score somewhere along the way. I am looking forward to what the music, which I call 'Going on an Adventure', that is heard as Bilbo runs out of the Shire is actually called. The combining of the Misty Mountains melody with the LotR scenery theme was really well done, even though I think it was almost a little overused.
( Collapse )
I did end up with a few favourite dwarves... mostly the ones I recognise from other stuff. Which means Thorin, Bofur and Kili. Although the youngest whose name I can't remember does get an honourable mention, as does Fili, because all the young dwarves are adorable.
Award for "Actor who I don't like in the other things you've done, but you do pretty good here" goes to Richard Armitage because I hate Lucas North but do rather like Thorin.
And while the tease for Smaug was very nice, The Hobbit isn't a movie that left me keening for next year. Which is good in my opinion. It gives you time to fall back into the book, to re-read the appendices and figure out the timelines and family trees. (And to reacquaint myself with Dwarfish runes.)
Additional trailer related thoughts: Star Trek - the only thing I'm interested in is why Cumberbatch's character has knotwork on his sleeves, Man of Steel - I am utterly uninterested in this and why did Dragonball Z have such a crap movie adaptation, because I'd rather have Son Goku that Clark Kent.